Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Serving for drop away rest

Discussion in 'Archery' started by 13fcolt, Mar 30, 2013.

1. 13fcolt

13fcolt New Member

I'm likely going to have to go back through this and add a few pics and such.

I like to run a short patch of serving on my down cable where I attach the cord to my drop away rest. It gives the cordage traction without having to be overly tight and protects the cable from abrasion.
    The stuff you will need. serving, wax, lighter, hemostats or vice grips. I replaced the original rest cord for some snazzy red color cord to match my string & cables.

the supplies.jpg

I tried to get a demonstration with the serving itself but it did not photograph well at all. So I'm using extra cord and some 550 to hopefully get the point across. The 550 represents the cable and the red stuff is the serving. Some like to split the cable strands and pass the tag end through to hold it. I prefer to just loop it around. Once a few wraps of serving are on top of the tag end, it can be pulled tight.
    serveex.jpg

When you get about 2/3rds of the way, you'll want to finish it up nice and clean by back serving. What you do is run the serving around the other way so that when you continue to serve, this time over both tag ends, it unwraps from the back served area. you will end up with a seamless bit of serving with both ends underneath and sticking out where you began the back serve.
    I'll have to get another pic or 2 in here.
    back serve.jpg

Use the hemostats to pull down tight and trim the excess off. CAREFULLY use the lighter to melt the tag ends and press the melted blob into the serving. Now you have a nice clean parking place for your drop away rest cable. seal it up with wax and tie in your rest cord.
    the end.jpg

These same steps can be used for protecting the string from a string stop, by serving over the area that contacts the bumper.