Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Late Fall trout fishing?

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by mlotziii, Nov 26, 2012.

1. mlotziii

mlotziii Administrator Staff Member

I've still got my waders, ultralight, and fishing vest in the back of my jeep. But I'm reluctant to go hit the stream because I've never fished for trout this late into the season.

Got any tips for me for late fall trout fishing?

2. Siscowet

Siscowet New Member

Find out what specie and strain of trout are being stocked. Seeforeelen browns for instance, are stocked around the Great Lakes. They run tributaries and get big! They like to spawn late November and early December. What is your general location by the way? Oh and I like your AR10t site. But I know a heck of a lot more about Great Lakes fishing then I do about shooting. Hence the moniker "Siscowet". A deep water fish of the Great Lakes. The name is Ojibway for the fish that cooks itself.

3. Dave Redman

Dave Redman New Member

In Iowa they only stock trout from April to October but you can fish all year round as long as you have a trout stamp. We have brown, brook and rainbow. We normally fish all year round as long as you have open water. Unless the water is moving, it is frozen. I have caught all types during winter months. Spinners and hard baits seem to work the best in Iowa. Went fishing the day before the 2015 stocking season. I caught a nice brook, my oldest caught a 1 pound rainbow and my youngest caught 5 rainbows and 1 brook. A good start to the season. All were caught on crawlers.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015