Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Invasive species

Discussion in 'Conservation' started by Siscowet, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Siscowet

Siscowet New Member

Wherever you go now, chances are you will encounter invasive species. Many are benign, but quite a few,are not. Currently I am part of an organization working to formulate a defence against Asian Carp in the Great Lakes. Not the easiest challenge but an important one. One thing anyone can do is to help prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species simply by your watercraft for weeds and possible aquatic hitch hikers when moving watercraft from one body of wager to another. A five minute check can save a lifetime of grief.

2. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 New Member

Very important to follow procedure when moving from one body of water to the next.
    If I would ever take My boat, say, from the Yellowstone River, over to Tongue River Reservoir, I would be sure to follow the outlined procedures, as listed in the Montana Fish and Game brochure for boating.
    I also feel that, a nice mist of bleach and water would help greatly in preventing the spread of invasive species, rather it be fish or vegetation, but, I am no expert so this step mayt just be a waste of time.
    OH Yeah, the Tongue River flows into Miles City, where I live, the mouth of the Tongue and Yellowstone rivers is about a half mile from My house/propity, even though, the tongue does flow into the same water where I do all of My boating, I still would not want to carry something from here, over the there, and vice/versa.
    One thing I see around here is a tree, or, whatever the heck it is, invasive from Louisiana, so I`ve been told, these things`ll make a nice yard look like a jungle in a few years time, i see a neighbor up the street has some of them growing on His propity and I aint liking that, I`m thinking I`ll call the county weed patrol and sickum onum. I do not want that stuff near My residence.

3. mlotziii

mlotziii Administrator Staff Member

Invasive species and bacteria have become a problem in Maryland. They have introduced wader washes at most parking areas frequented by trout fisherman. Unfortunately they are not being maintained. Maryland has also banned the use of felt soled water boots and only allows rubber wader soles.

Our reservoirs in the area also have strict policies that if you launch a boat in them you can not launch the boat any other place during the year.

4. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 New Member

I like those waders that comes all apart for warshing them out, those look like the real deal, for today anyhow, something more inovative`ll be here in tomorrows world.
    Too bad about Maryland not maintaining the washing stations, I suppose that with all the cutbacks, like most infrastructure, IE bridges and highways, thaat man power and money is`nt there except for just the basics.

5. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 New Member

On the boat thing.
    I`d guess that if a boat was launched into one body of water then moved to another, if the wardens did`nt catch it on the spot that the launch tickets would when they are tallied at the end of the day or week, unless it would be like the wader washing station and not closely monitered.