Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Hiking Boots vs Work Boot

Discussion in 'Hiking Gear and Equipment' started by mlotziii, Feb 15, 2014.

1. mlotziii

mlotziii Administrator Staff Member

About 30% of the time I wear hiking boots to work, alternating with steel toed boots and dress shoes. For the days I can wear a boot I like the traction, support, and comfort of a hiking boot instead of a work boot. My only complaint about the hiking boots I've been buying is they seem to wear out pretty fast. My steel toed boots have lasted me 4 or 5 years with moderate wear. My hiking boots do not last a year without falling apart.

The brand of hiking boot I have been buying is Keen. They fit my foot well and have ample cushion. They also look fairly good so I can wear them to meetings without changing footwear. I've owned 4 pairs of Keens over the last 3 years and have worn out all three pairs. The problems I've had with them are laces breaking, eyelets tearing out or ripping, and the sole coming unglued. Since I switch shoes a few times a week It is always 1 year and 2 days after I bought them that I get fed up with how they held up. The last pair I purchased I was told that they changed the glue that holds the sole on and these will not separate ... well they were wrong. My Keen Dry boots which have been worn for about 90 days have the soles falling off, an eyelet torn, and the tread wearing off. Not what I would expect from a $100 boot.

Anyone have any recommendations for a great pair of everyday boots that will hold up a little longer? My Timberland Pro workboots are almost just as good as the day I bought them 4 years ago. They just feel like they are made of concrete and steel and I prefer a more comfortable boot.