Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Custom plugs thread.

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing/ Coastal Piers' started by Sharkey, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Sharkey

Sharkey New Member

I've been fishing the brine my whole life. Except for a few times when jobs or whatever pulled me away from it, I've never been or will ever be far from the ocean again if I can help it.

Over the years, I've begun collecting and using a lot of custom saltwater plugs from both local and distant manufacturers and I always love to see what kinds of plugs other guys have in their collections and maybe share some info on where they got em.

Here is one that was made just for me that has yet to touch the salt. I have caught a LOT of big stripers and blues on this guys artwork over the years and if anyone asks, I'll be happy to tell ya who made it.

This is 7 inch, 3oz weighted swimmer and he even put my name on.

I've caught a lot of fish with several just like it and love this guys work.

Custom Sharkey.jpg

Let's see em guys and gals...

2. mlotziii

mlotziii Administrator Staff Member

This is pretty awesome! Very cool that it was custom made. I've never used a plug in saltwater. What species are going going for when you fish with plugs?

In saltwater I've only ever trolled, drifted, or bottom fished.

3. Sharkey

Sharkey New Member

My primary target with plugs is normally Striped Bass. They are the tasting coastal "game fish" in my area that you can catch from shore. The plug in the photo is called a "metal lip swimmer" but there are so many different types of plugs, all with various retrieve techniques and their own special personality that it's tough to go fishing without carrying a backpack with at least a few of almost everything with you.

The fish you DON'T want chewing on a $30 custom plug is a bluefish. The teeth on those things will make a serious mess of your expensive plugs but along the coast, they can be tough to avoid sometimes...

4. mlotziii

mlotziii Administrator Staff Member

Interesting. I've fished for strippers for years but only from a boat either trolling or drifting. I'm going to have to try a plug next time I'm at the shore. Was in Duck, NC this year and caught some nice blues and drum on cut bait but had zero luck Bon anything artificial.

5. Sharkey

Sharkey New Member

It's kind of an art form M and takes patience and a lot of listening and watching. I started fishing the salt when I was 3 or 4 years old when my Great Grandfather used to run along the beach chasing the birds (that would indicate stripers feeding) and shouting for me to keep up with my little legs.

Since then I've spent countless hours learning and although it IS possible to just walk up at the right time and catch, to really catch when no one else is, is something I like to think I'm usually pretty good at. You'll always see guys that can get fish when everyone else around says there's nothing biting and many times, by the Grace of God and my Great Grandfather's spirit beside me, I'm one of those fortunate enough to quite often be able to find the fish and have what they want at the time - maybe not in two minutes but like I always say, if there are twenty men out there and only 1 fish is caught, I want that one fish to be coming home for MY family and not someone elses.

It takes practice, patience and hours and hours of working on it..

I'd be proud to have you come up some time and we'll do a little night trip and hopefully even find a few nice ones.

6. Siscowet

Siscowet New Member

MLotzii, I am curious, when you fish for "Strippers" what kind of lure do you use? The same as you use for Stripers? I have always found $100 bills work best.